Friday, September 5, 2008

Episodes - Inexplicable Genius

[Author's Note (2018-4-9): This band is now defunct.  This post is left here out of respect for the dead.]

Let me catch my breath; I'm feeling a bit verklemmt ... ok, I'm fine now. One evening, when my daughter was in Fourth Grade, she confided to me that she made up songs. Now, I knew better than to think that she really made up songs (unless of course they were of the "I love a tree! I love a tree! I really, really, really LOVE a tree, ..." variety). But I wasn't about to leak moisture on her parade, so I said yes dear, and left it at that. Last summer --we're talking 2007, here-- she says, "By the way, like I was saying, we were without a drummer, but we found this great guy who can really drum! And Dad, the people across the street really can't stand us..." Wait, wait, wait! Backup a little... Well, it turned out, she really did have a rock band. I had bought her a guitar, in a moment of weakness. I hadn't bought her much of anything; she had appropriated my Pentax, and a few of my used TShirts, but not much more. She had even paid for her own college. So I had bought her a nice Ovation, a used acoustic electric. I tell you honestly: mothers, don't buy your daughters guitars. They will form Rock Groups. (Not fathers, neither. Er, fathers should not, either. Buy their mothers ... you know what I mean.) There is talent in that group that rocked me to my foundations. There's Junior (Uma), who has written not one song but close to 20; then there's Troy, who wields a 6-string bass that can bring down a redwood at 50 paces; there's Brian One, who can make the redwood hop right back up and start crying; Joe, who plays violin, and adds tiny little touches of magic all over; and a parade of talented drummers, including C'los, who beat them into shape and then moved out of state, and presently Brian Two, who looks rather solemn and retiring, but beats a solid rhythm back there, that helps define the sound. And the amazing thing is that the songs are fantastic!!! The only complaint one could make is that they might be just a tad too commercial. But the tunes are so original, yet they seem familiar. Half the city of Tucson is walking around humming those tunes. (Okay, maybe not exactly half, but some nice fraction like that.) If you visit their site, make sure you check out Tumble Dry, which is on their podcast.
Arch, proud Dad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

MY DAD LOVES ME!!!

Arch, you are one wild and crazy guy!

Hey, Episodes' newest song is "I love a Tree". It's like "I Dig a Pony" only lamer. . .

From your Little Loving Fruit Fly

troydawg said...

Hi, this the wielder of the redwood-felling bass, Troy. Don't forget to visit our web site at http://www.episodesband.com/

Many, many thanks for the accolades!!!

--T.

Final Jeopardy

Final Jeopardy
"Think" by Merv Griffin

The Classical Music Archives

The Classical Music Archives
One of the oldest music file depositories on the Web

Strongbad!

Strongbad!
A weekly cartoon clip, for all superhero wannabes, and the gals who love them.

My Blog List

Followers