Monday, July 16, 2012

Man's Best Friend

.
A recent program on PBS presented a view of what was unique about dogs.  I had become interested in the subject many years ago, when I was introduced to a book by famed Austrian author Konrad Lorenz (pronounced more like Laurenz).

Lorenz has written many highly readable books, all written in German, a few translated by himself, but most by other translators.  He was interested in animal behavior, and styled himself an animal ethologist.  His two major books are Man meets dog, and King Solomon's Ring.  Unfortunately I can't remember the details of Lorenz's ideas, for the simple reason that I have assimilated them so completely that it's hard for me to tell where his ideas stop, and my own begin.

The PBS program (whose name I can't recall; possibly Man's Best Friend) had the thesis that what has defined the dog as we know it is its entire willingness to relate to its human.  This meshes in very well with what Lorenz had to say --to the extent that I remember it, namely that dogs are adept at reading human body language.

I have little to add to that, except that dogs reflect the personalities of their masters and mistresses to a remarkable degree.  (Lorenz, I believe, was of the same opinion.)  When I see a sweet-natured dog, I usually observe a sweet-natured owner.  When I see an ill-tempered dog, I usually notice a similarly ill-tempered owner, and so on.

I'm staying with an aunt whose dogs are the sweetest I have ever met.  The females are almost without exception even-tempered and gentle.  The males, in contrast, are jolly and mischievous, reflecting the temperament of my brother, who lives in the same house.

I have always wanted to get a dog, but have resisted the impulse, simply because my friends and family are scattered so widely, it would be impossible to visit them at all if I had responsibilities to a pet.  (I can't bring myself to board a pet in a kennel, though I know that these are often fine establishments.)

But beware of getting a dog.  It might tell the world a lot more about you than you might wish.

Arch, hugely enjoying the ten dogs and one cat out here!

No comments:

Final Jeopardy

Final Jeopardy
"Think" by Merv Griffin

The Classical Music Archives

The Classical Music Archives
One of the oldest music file depositories on the Web

Strongbad!

Strongbad!
A weekly cartoon clip, for all superhero wannabes, and the gals who love them.

My Blog List

Followers