Monday, February 20, 2012

Kathleen Ferrier

.
In October 2008 I blogged about the late Kathleen Ferrier, the wonderful British contralto, who died in 1952 of throat cancer.  I posted a few cuts from her albums on YouTube (in violation of their policies, no doubt), and I occasionally get notified about comments to those posts, almost invariably happy to have found the link, and lamenting the death of Ms Ferrier.  She was universally loved in her time, by all accounts.

In addition to the clips I provide in that post (linked above), here are some more video clips of Kathleen Ferrier on YouTube that I like:

  • "Father of Heaven" from Judas Maccabaeus
  • "Erbarme dich" from the Matthew Passion
  • Blow the wind Southerly (unaccompanied)
  • "O Thou that Tellest good tiding to Zion (Handel), possibly one of the most joyful arias ever written:

  • "Nun will die Sonn", from Mahler's Kindertotenlieder; dirges for a dead child.

  • "Silent Night", the arrangement I hear in my dreams! (Francis (Franz) Grueber):

  • "Agnus Dei" from the St John Passion (J. S. Bach):
  • Qui Sedes ad dextram patris, uploaded by me

  • "Du bist die Ruh", Franz Schubert
  • "An die Musik", Franz Schubert

No comments:

Final Jeopardy

Final Jeopardy
"Think" by Merv Griffin

The Classical Music Archives

The Classical Music Archives
One of the oldest music file depositories on the Web

Strongbad!

Strongbad!
A weekly cartoon clip, for all superhero wannabes, and the gals who love them.

My Blog List

Followers