Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Seekers: I'll never find another You

This lovely, innocent song by the Seekers is one of my favorites! It radiates a wonderful air of certainty, and the Seekers' lead vocalist, Judith Durham, one of the most celebrated women's voices in pop and folk music of the decade of the sixties, gives the words her all. It is such a gift to make your audience believe that you believe the words! The song written by Tom Springfield has the following lyrics:
There's a new world somewhere
They call the Promised Land,
And I'll be there someday
If you will hold my hand
I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do,
For I know I'll never find another you

There is always someone
For each of us they say,
And you'll be my someone
Forever and a day
I could search the whole world over
Until my life is through,
But I know I'll never find another you
It's a long, long journey,
So stay by my side
When I walk through the storm,
You'll be my guide
If they gave me a fortune,
My pleasure would be small
I could lose it all tomorrow
And never mind at all
But if I should lose your love, dear,
I don't know what I'll do
For I know I'll never find another you
The song simply glows with a sentiment that stops just this side of naivete. Those lines that begin: "If they gave me a fortune..." always brings a lump to my throat. It seems such a wonderful thing to be able to say to someone! Well, it's only a song, and words are cheap. But I think it takes a certain genius to write words on behalf of lovers everywhere. Finally, just a word about the expressiveness of Judy Durham's face! A great deal of the charm of The Seekers was Miss Durham's smile, in my humble opinion, and in the video (click on the title), of a recording session, we see Judy's eyes glowing as she sings! What a sight.

Arch

No comments:

Final Jeopardy

Final Jeopardy
"Think" by Merv Griffin

The Classical Music Archives

The Classical Music Archives
One of the oldest music file depositories on the Web

Strongbad!

Strongbad!
A weekly cartoon clip, for all superhero wannabes, and the gals who love them.

My Blog List

Followers