Sunday, December 14, 2008

Archimedes meets Myers-Briggs

It might delight my readers to know that your favorite blogger (I know, I know, ok, second favorite blogger) is of type ISTP: The Mechanic, according to Typealyzer, a website that analyzes a blog and tells you what sort of person the blogger is. Yours truly is...
The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts. The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters.
Maybe these guys know more than I know about myself. I am one of the biggest chickens you ever saw; firefighting--I think not. And I am not the artistic type, apparently. But, you know what? I did submit the blog of an artistic friend of mine, and it did come back with "artistic, soft-hearted type," which does describe this particular person frighteningly accurately. So there you have it. Pretty soon the Internet will know exactly how to sweet-talk us into what it wants.

[Added Later:] I decided to independently verify my personality according to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. (The subject was initially studied by a mother-and-daughter team in the early 1900s, and developed partially with an eye to placing women in effective wartime jobs.) According to an on-line test by HumanMetrics I am an "ISFP", that is introvert, sensing, feeling, perceiving. This is all very alarming to a trained mathematician such as myself. We do not sense, we do not feel, we do not perceive, we KNOW. Golly gee, this is embarrassing in the extreme. However, I was somewhat mollified by the list of other folks in the same category, namely: Princess Diana, J.K. Rowling, John Lennon, Florence Nightingale. These are four of my most favorite people. [Important note: Florence Nightingale was one of the matriarchs of modern statistics.]

2018-4-10: This just in: I repeated the Typelyzer test, and we have been re-allocated to INTP.  I also submitted Archie's Archives, our companion blog, and that did come in as ISTP.  So I guess I'm more mechanical when doing music on the radio.  No wonder the radio station went on the fritz...

Archimedes, always the cynic. The Mechacynic.

No comments:

Final Jeopardy

Final Jeopardy
"Think" by Merv Griffin

The Classical Music Archives

The Classical Music Archives
One of the oldest music file depositories on the Web

Strongbad!

Strongbad!
A weekly cartoon clip, for all superhero wannabes, and the gals who love them.

My Blog List

Followers